It’s here. Launching your boat for the season. But, before you do so, here are some maintenance tips to get you ready. Create your list and check the tasks off one at a time.
- Clean hull, deck, and topsides
- Check all drains for blockages.
- Wash your boat and add a coat of wax to protect the paint.
- Clean your wood finishes and oil them.
- Clean fixtures like windows, hatches, blinds, and any other parts.
- Replace things like your wiper blades if they are worn
- Check for general damage like scratches, blisters
- Inspect your ladder, trim, rails, rudder, and fittings
- Inspect your stanchion, pulpits, lines fenders, and other items on the deck
- Check your port lights to make sure they are functioning. Change any bulbs that are burnt or damaged
- Check your seacocks, make sure they are working and lubricated
- Inspect your hoses and clamps
- Look at your waterline hoses
- Check your bilge pumps, make sure both their automatic and manual functions work
- Inspect your electrical systems, look to see if your battery is still good, if it needs to be recharged, or replaced
- Look at any major contact points for corrosion and other wear
- Inspect all visible wiring to see if it is frayed (also check for potential damage from animals chewing the wires)
- Make sure all your gauges are working
Once you have completed your list, you are ready to launch the boat for the season.