It is always nice to be snuggly and warm during the winter nights, but many of us use space heaters to keep us warm. They can be dangerous and the biggest threat is fire. Fire is caused by the overloading of circuits and power failures. Last year, there were 55,000 fires, 450 deaths, and more than 1,500 injuries due to space heaters.
To keep your home safe, follow these tips:
- Make sure the space heater is not near furniture, clothing, or flammable materials
- Don’t run your space heater non-stop
- Use the right size heater
- Check for broken or frayed cords
- Place your heater to make sure your pets and children are safe
- Verify your heater has a label from a testing laboratory like Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
Follow these tips and keep warm while being safe.